What Happens If You Swallow Metal? ( 7 Scary Happenings)

what happens if you swallow metal

Swallowing a foreign object is pretty common. Anyone can fall prey to this. However, children have a natural tendency to swallow different things out of curiosity. Are you facing the same situation and wondering what will happen next? If yes, this post will help you a lot. Let’s see:

What happens if you swallow metal? Swallowing a sharp object like metal can harm your food pipe and the thin walls of the esophagus. It can get stuck or cause bleeding or infections on its way through the body. Seek medical help because it’s an emergency.

Normally, small and round metal objects such as coins, small balls, and buttons, come out of your body without causing any problem. While sharp and large objects could be dangerous if swallowed. In addition, some metals are toxic and so reactive that even a very small piece of such metal can cause poisoning or death.

Let’s delve into the article!

What Happens If You Swallow Metal

What happens if you swallow a piece of metal accidentally?

If you swallow a small piece of metal, it will pass through your digestive tract and come out naturally without causing any harm. But you need to see a doctor if you experience gagging, drooling, or difficulty in swallowing, and breathing.

🔥Trending:  What Happens If You Swallow A Rubber Band? (It’s Safe or Not)

Moreover, if the metal is toxic, highly reactive, or radio-active, this could be hazardous and even fatal. Because some metals are poisonous if swallowed, for instance, lead, mercury, and potassium.

What Happens If You Swallow Metal Shavings

What happens if you ingested metal shavings?

No need to worry about if you swallowed tiny metal shavings. Usually, it’s too small to be observed and hurt. But sharp and large metal shavings can hurt your mouth, and gums, or damage your teeth, and finally your gut.

Be careful while opening a can and make sure no metal shaving remains in your food because it can contaminate your food and hurt your throat too.

What Happens If You Swallow A Small Metal Wire

Most of the small metal wires and pieces will not cause harm and will pass through your body within 24 to 48 hours eventually.

It can get stuck in the narrow parts of your GI system such as the upper part of the esophagus and intestine. So, it will be an emergency if you feel trouble swallowing and breathing, or pain in the chest after swallowing a wire, elastic, or rubber band.

Don’t try to vomit or get any treatment at home. Seek medical help immediately.

what happens if you eat metal

What Happens If You Swallow Metal From Braces

Swallowing metal braces or brackets seems to be a dire situation but in reality, is not much harmful.

Mostly, it’s not a serious matter if you swallow metal from braces or wire. The metal piece will pass through your gastrointestinal system on its own and expel from your body along with undigested food.

🔥Trending:  What Happens If You Swallow Styrofoam? (Toxic Secrets U Should Know)

There is enough acidity in your stomach to dissolve a small piece of metal. So, you need no worries at all.

What Happens If Your Child Swallows A Small Metal Ball

What should you do if you swallow a small metal ball?

Small metal balls are often harmless if swallowed. But in some situations, it can get stuck in the esophagus, trachea, or the opening of the stomach. If your child shows severe symptoms and feels difficulty in breathing, trouble speaking, wheezing, or stomach pain, call emergency help immediately.

The metal ball that stocks at the opening of the esophagus can also block the trachea. It can interrupt the flow of air into the lungs.

What Happens If You Swallow A Metal Bottle Cap

Are bottle caps dangerous to swallow? Yes, it is.

The metal bottle caps are large enough with sharp edges to cause serious internal damage. It can easily get lodged in the GI tract, obstruct the airways, and injure your esophagus and stomach too. It can perforate or ulcerate the whole GI tract.

Be careful, swallowing sharp objects like bottle caps could be dangerous. Therefore, dispose of metal objects and bottle caps properly, or keep them away from children. 

What Happens If You Swallow Metal Dust

Like heavy and sharp dust particles, metal dust is not safe to swallow or inhale.

The dust of sharp objects like metal and glass can cause irritation and injury in your nose, throat, and esophagus. It can perforate the thin and soft tissues of that specific area and induce pain, inflammation, laceration, and poisoning.

🔥Trending:  What Happens If You Swallow Shampoo? [All Surprising Facts+Safety Tips]

Swallowing iron dust can cause serious damage and toxicity. Tiny particles in food can also damage your teeth and result in perforation of the intestine. In some cases, it can lead to poisoning and even death if swallowed in excess amounts.

What Happens If You Swallow Metal From a Can

Is swallowing a small piece of metal dangerous?

Yes, it can be dangerous if the piece of metal is sharp and pointed. It can damage the internal organs and cause ulceration, fistulas, and holes in the intestine if swallowed by a child. It can lead to a life-threatening situation.

Get medical help promptly if someone swallowed a sharp metal piece from a can. Never try to vomit your child or the affected person. It can injure the trachea and cause more damage to your GI tract.  

Final Verdict

To conclude, we can say that swallowing large, sharp edges, or toxic metal objects is dangerous. It can injure your GI system, especially the narrow openings, can get stuck in specific areas, or induce poisoning.

Luckily, a small round metal object passes through the GI system without causing any harm. But in some rare cases, the objects can get stuck and cause serious problems, and put lives at risk.

Finally, don’t panic if you swallow a metal object. Visit your doctor if you see any adverse reaction, pain in the neck or chest, drooling, or shortening of breath. Get your X-Ray done and follow the medical advice to avoid further complications.

James Randolph

Hey, James is here with you. This blog is a powerful online resource to help you get instant answers to your superstitious beliefs, facts, and the reality of myths. Knowledge is your inner guidance system, and this blog empowers you to update, refine, reorganize and enhance your communication system. If you know well you can surely discuss facts with evidence. So, stay with us and be a master of what happens around you!

Recent Posts