What Happens If You Drink Windex? (Windex Poisoning & Its Symptoms)

What Happens If You Drink Windex

Windex is an American brand of glass cleaner, introduced by the Drackett Company in 1933. Originally it came in a glass bottle in yellow color. Drackett sold it to Bristol Meyers in 1965. S.C.Johonson attained Windex in 1993 and since then manufactured it. Its popularity and fame never faded over time. Its most famous brand came in a light blue color in a plastic bottle with spray.

Its use and need never diminished. Its competitors never beat it. Some people try to smell it while some drink it to taste it as an experiment. They do not know the consequences. Others are trying to understand the result of its ingestion. I think you are also curious about its outcome and ask,

What happens if you drink Windex?   

Drinking Windex is always harmful. Its less amount can cause burning or irritation in the mouth, nose, and throat and disturb the stomach. Its heavy dose shows damaging effects on the esophagus, gut, and respiratory system. Its sniffing leads to sniffing death syndrome.

Let’s discuss its dangers and harmful aspects. 

What Happens If You Drink Windex

Windex is a popular glass cleaner that is loaded with a variety of chemicals. Water is the main medium in which ammonia, ethylene glycol, and propylene glycol are mixed to perform their duty.

Here we will explore what will happen if somebody drinks Windex.

🔥Trending:  What Happens If You Swallow a Magnet? (6 Ways To Get Rid of Magent)

Ammonia in Windex can burn your mouth, and oral cavity, and upset your stomach. You may suffer from nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. If you drink your Windex, immediately call the poison center.

Is It Bad To Drink Windex

Windex is the best solution for cleaning the windows, shelves, and other hard areas. Its primary constituent ammonia is very beneficial in removing stubborn spots and dirty surfaces. But when this chemical enters the oral cavity and passes from the esophagus to the stomach it produces a burning and irritating sensation. Even a small amount of Windex can upset your stomach.

Its bad effects may damage your stomach, and affect your eyes, and kidneys.  Its vapors can cause respiratory disorders. So it is quite bad for you. you should avoid it.  

What To Do If Your Child Drinks Windex

If you have small kids at home you should be careful about harmful things like medicines, acids, detergents, and cleaners. Sky blue Windex looks very nice and babies can try to taste it.

You must keep it away from this tiny creature.

If a child drinks Windex accidentally, give him milk or water to dilute the concentration of this toxic substance. Call the emergency center especially when you don’t know the exact amount he swallows.

In 1989 Windex had a hard formula that contained 5% ammonia but it was reformulating its formula in 2006 which contained 0.05% ammonia. Another important thing is that this company introduced many brands of ammonia-free Windex which are less toxic like Windex Ammonia Glass cleaner or Windex vinegar glass cleaner.

How Much Alcohol Present In Windex (Formula)

Some people claim that one Windex contains concentrated alcohol which is equal to three bottles of alcohol. According to a precise report(US Patent # 3,463,735 for glass cleaner composition list,),

 Windex contains 4% of Isopropyl alcohol.

🔥Trending:  What Happens If You Swallow Styrofoam? (Toxic Secrets U Should Know)

1% ethylene glycol mono butyl ether.

Sodium lauryl sulfate as surfactant%Calcium 0.01%.

Tetrasodium pyrophosphate(water softener).

0.05% of 28% ammonia.

Colors  1%, Fragrance 0.01%.  

Does Drinking Windex Kill You

Though ammonia is present in a small amount in Windex and is slightly harmless. It is potentially toxic when ingested or inhaled in large amounts. A small amount only produces irritation in the mouth cavity, and esophagus and disturbs the stomach.

On consuming a large quantity you have permanent damage to the stomach, food tube, eyes, and respiratory system. Repeatedly sniffing can directly attack the nervous system and suffer you sniffing death syndrome.

Can You Drunk From Inhaling Windex

Inhalant abuse is the constant sniffing of household products to get high. These products include things like bleach, Windex, and some other very common things like sharpies. 

These inhalations create a feeling of pleasure just like the intoxication from alcohol. However, this type of feeling is for a short period and lasts minutes. Repeatedly inhaling such products can lead to sudden sniffing death syndrome.

Some less dangerous side effects are:

  • Slurred speech.
  • Dizziness.
  • Hallucination.
  • Turmoil.

An average of 23 million Americans have tested sniffing some sort of inhalent during the 12 to 15 years of age, of their lifetime.

How Do you know About Ammonia Poisoning

Ammonia poisoning can be predicted by its symptoms. If you observe these signs immediately consult the doctor.

  • Severe chest pain.
  • Wheezing.
  • Chest tightness.
  • Rapid breathing. 
  • Difficulty in breathing.
  • Cough. 

What happens When You Mix Windex With Bleach

Most window cleaners are best when used alone but dangerous when mixed with some other chemicals. Its best example is mixing Windex with bleach, which produces toxic gas Chloramine.

These chloramine vapors produce the following symptoms.

  • Watery eyes.
  • Coughing.
  • Nausea.
  • Shortness of breath. 
  • Chest pain.
  • Irritation to the nose, eye, and throat.
  • Pneumonia and fluid in lungs.
  • Runny nose
🔥Trending:  What Happens If You Swallow Hair? (6 Surprising Facts)

Frequently Asked Question

Can Windex burn the skin?

In advertisements, models claim that Windwx is quite harmless for the skin. It is not true. On exposure to glass cleaner skin’s useful bacteria dies and the skin becomes sensitive to the harsh chemicals. It also produces irritation and burning signs on the skin.

What happens if you accidentally mix bleach and toilet bowl cleaner?

If you put bleach on the toilet bowl cleaner, fumes of chloramine are emitted. Chloramine is highly toxic. These fumes produce skin, eye, nose, and throat irritation. It causes fluid in the lungs, pneumonia, and vomiting. Its high concentration affects the eyes. In a low ventilated area, its fumes lead to the death of the person. 

Why is Windex blue?

 In the 1960s Windex used a translucent blue color which gave it a beautiful appearance and was more prominent in a transparent bottle. Due to its popularity, most users associated the color of light blue spray with glass cleaners.

Conclusion

During the mid-20th century, the Drackett company invented the formula of Windex. The original color of Windex is yellow but later it comes in light blue color. This product is extensively used as glass or hard surface cleaner.

In this article, we discussed its harmful effects after drinking it. It should not be used for drinking because it is not for the human diet but for cleaning the hard surfaces. For this purpose, many chemicals are used to enhance its efficiency and strength. All these chemicals are not safe for human health. Sometimes its large amount leads to death. So you should not drink it experimentally. Keep it away from small children. Make sure you will only use it for cleaning purposes.

Share this useful information with others. Perhaps it will save the lives of many people. 

 

James Randolph

Hey, James is here with you. This blog is a powerful online resource to help you get instant answers to your superstitious beliefs, facts, and the reality of myths. Knowledge is your inner guidance system, and this blog empowers you to update, refine, reorganize and enhance your communication system. If you know well you can surely discuss facts with evidence. So, stay with us and be a master of what happens around you!

Recent Posts